Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Growing Up...


As we get older we become more and more independent and in this house we can't escape the inevitable changes that take place as we age. As adults our independence and co-dependence is tested daily as we learn to live and support ourselves and then get married and learn to depend on our spouse. As a child however, we are born entirely dependent on another human being. So when we start to assert our independence in little steps it is a BIG thing.

We start with simple things like wanting to feed ourselves, followed by the ability to actually accomplish feeding ourselves, then making choices like what and when to eat, {though as parents we like to think we maintain complete control of this detail in our children's lives}, then comes another major milestone and that is learning to create our own meals, otherwise known as cooking. For -N- that milestone just so happens to be today! As lunch time approached and the question of what kind of peanut butter and jelly sandwich would you like was asked, -N- confronted the situation head on, and asked, "Can I make my own peanut butter and jelly sandwich?"


I am a huge supporter of independence and rather enjoyed watching him attempt to make his very own peanut butter and jelly sandwich, {with a little help}.

{Oh the Pride!}
I can't believe it, I have been so busy watching his little brother grow so quickly that at times I forget that my once small baby boy is growing up.


{Bon Apeptite!}

No comments: