The Scene of the Crime!!!
Our day started with a walk with friends around the mall and then moved to the play area. -N- was having a blast climbing to the top of the rocks and sliding down the slide in many different contorted ways, but none the less having a blast, I sat done to play with -A- and talk to a friend, and wouldn't you believe -N- comes a running...
Through tears, he described his fall as "I landed on the 'rocks' and hurt my arm." (yep those big foam things, meant to protect them from getting hurt) So after testing and finding he had limited strength and wouldn't move it much, I got ice from Haggen Daas and iced it for about 5 minutes. At which point, he decided he wanted to go play, he slid off the bench and quickly turned back around to inform me he needed more ice...
So after 20 minutes of icing and still no apparent change in demeanor or use of his left arm, we walked upstairs to the convenient store and purchased Tylenol, & dosed him up. Our friends headed home, while we stayed to wait for -B- to arrive, as he was heading there for a Eye appt after work (the whole reason we were at the mall in the first place).
When he arrived, I explained what happened and -B- gave his two cents (that's what I did whenever I broke my arm...) and immediately I was rushing back to thoughts from this time last year as -N- was having his leg set in a fiberglass splint one week before his 2nd birthday, and wondering if this would become a birthday tradition of "which appendage will be in a cast for my birthday this year?"
So we headed to -C-'s Children's Hospital after -B-'s appt as -N- was showing no signs of improvement, we moved quickly from one place to the next and after two x-rays and NO BREAKS (woohoo), we found out he had Nursemaid's elbow (which I had never heard the term for until a friend mentioned it a week ago). The Dr. reset the dislocated elbow and -N- screamed bloody murder at him while he did, then the nurse brought him a Popsicle and -N- gladly took it and was just fine!
We left with instructions of no swinging or supporting his weight using his arm as it is easy to re-injure, and you would never know that -N- had been hurt in the first place. So it looks like we will be avoiding monkey bars or anything of the sort for sometime, say til he's 5!!!


1 comment:
Thank goodness it is not broken! Nursemaids elbow is actually a pretty common injury most just dont know about it. For some reason my computer never showed any new posts since V-day until this morning. Very strange! Anyway, I hope he had a great birthday!!!
Post a Comment